What is Power BI Robots?
Power BI robots may be a spanking new tool for Microsoft® Power BI™ that uses Robot process Automation (RPA) to mechanically and recurrently take screenshots of dashboards and reports and deliver them to a recipient. The screenshots are saved as a picture or PDF file associated instantly sent to an email, a SharePoint library, a classification system, or the cloud. As you’ll see during this one hundred and one, this flexibility permits you to, effectively, show Power metal reports on just about any device with an online browser.
You can download a trial version of Power BI Robots, and use it for as long as you want. This trial version comes with its limitations, though: it solely supports five playlists with up to five visuals each, and five recipients per listing and your reports can have a red watermark. If you want to update to the complete version, a 1-year license is enough for company-wide use and is on the market for less than 899€. additionally to removing all limitations, the complete version permits you to send Power BI reports as repeatedly as you want and to anyone you would like, even non-Power BI users outside your organization.
Who must use Power BI Robots?
Power BI Robots is particularly helpful to professionals who would like to:
- send or receive regular updates on the foremost recent business intelligence data where they’re.
- broadcast BI data on an oversized screen without a dedicated laptop, like a sensible TV or video wall.
- share data from the power BI™ account they manage with many different users.
- manage a business with many areas and wish to recurrently send numerous Power BI™ metrics to completely different middle managers.
Creating a brand new listing on Power BI Robots
1. General Info
To schedule automatic screenshots with Power BI Robots, attend the online agent and click on “Playlist” on the side menu. From here, you’ll be able to produce new automation playlists, yet as search and access previous ones.
To start a brand new automation listing, click the “Create” button. On the primary tab (“General”), name the playlist, and select the screenshot output format (image, single or multiple PDFs, single or multiple surpass files). Then, set the screen-capture return (i.e. your data’s refresh rate) and the way you would like your data delivered (“Send to”).
You will be encountered with screen that appears like:
Currently, Power BI Robots supports the subsequent delivery methods:
- Email: deliver your Power BI reports and dashboards as high screen pictures or PDFs by email. Send to as several recipients as you want by adding them within the “Recipients” tab. Fill within the subject and email message within the “General” tab.
- File System: send your Power metal reports and dashboards as high-definition screenshots or PDFs to a classification system. you need to enter the path to that within the “Recipients” tab.
- SharePoint: send your Power BI reports and dashboards as high screen pictures or PDFs to a SharePoint library. Enter the SharePoint library universal resource locator and List name on the “Recipients” tab.
- Slideshow: show your Power BI reports and dashboards as high screen pictures on any browser. If you select Slideshow as your delivery technique, you don’t got to fill in any recipients. Power BI Robots generates a universal resource locator you’ll be able to use on any browser to look at your playlist.
After selecting your sending technique, click the “Recipients” tab to fill in your knowledge recipients:
Keep in mind that this tab is merely obtainable once you choose Email, SharePoint, or file system as your delivery technique. Since one amongst Power BI Robots‘ biggest benefits is that the ability to share Power BI reports with individuals outside your organization, you will add any emails or SharePoint libraries to your recipients. simply make certain you have got the right authorization to try to to it.
You can add new columns next to the obligatory name and email fields. every new class are obtainable as a token where they’ll be used.
3. Adding Power BI Reports, Dashboards, and Visuals to your playlist
Once done, click “next” and proceed to the “Visuals” tab. Click “Add Power BI account” and a screen displaying your Power BI workspaces can pop-up. you will see all reports and dashboards contained on each by clicking the plus sign. Check the boxes to pick out that report pages and individual tiles you want to send (alternatively, choose them all). choose that data you want to send and what filters you would like to use. If you would like any directions on the way to try this, check section “3 – Personalizing a listing on Power BI Robots”.
After clicking on Power BI Visual button, you will be redirected to another screen, login using your microsoft account and all the workspaces and reports will be displayed.
After adding the reports, their respective names will be displayed:
After successfully adding Power BI Reports, click on Create button.
All chosen dashboards and reports are displayed on the left of the screen, underneath the “Search” bar. you’ll be able to modify the title, set the dimensions, and apply report and page level filters to any reports by clicking the icon next to every PBI universal resource locator field. when choosing the power BI dashboards and reports to feature to your listing, click “Create” to end making your playlist.
If, rather than making a brand new playlist from scratch, you want to duplicate one, click the Actions button from the Playlists screen and choose Duplicate from the dropdown menu.
A listing copy keeps all components from the initial one, as well as reports, recipients, and filters. Keep this in mind once making playlists using this technique.
You must currently install and set up the Power BI Robots agent to synchronize your playlists.
Downloading, Installing, and Configuring the Power BI Robots desktop agent
After putting in place your playlists, you want to install and set up the Power BI Robots desktop agent. If you don’t do it, Power BI Robots merely won’t work. This agent sets things up and synchronizes your playlists. It doesn’t collect any info – everything is hold on domestically, on the user’s infrastructure. you’ll be able to transfer the Power BI Robots desktop agent on the net agent or by clicking this link.
After downloading the Power BI Robots desktop agent, extract the file, click it, and follow the steps within the installer. once the installation method is over, open Power BI Robots Config, and follow these steps:
On the “General” tab
- add your Power BI Robots account ID (you will realize it on the highest right corner of the web agent) and click on “Synchronize”. necessary NOTE: each time you add, edit or take away a listing from Power BI Robots, you want to open the agent and click on “Synchronize” for the changes to take place.
- Log in to your Microsoft® Power BI™ Account.
- Check the Service Configuration.
- If you would like to, you’ll be able to additionally take a look at your playlists here. Click the “Test PBI Robots listing Execution” button, and also the following window can pop up:
- Select the playlist you wish to check and its rendering defaults. Your pictures or PDFs are hold on at the placement of your selection if “Override Target Delivery of Playlist” is checked.
On the “Providers” tab
If you’re using an SMTP service to send your reports by email or are sending them to a SharePoint library, this is often wherever you set up them. If you don’t have the required info, please raise your IT manager.
To use your office 365 account, you want to make sure you have the subsequent SMTP configuration:
- Host: smtp.office365.com
- Port: 587
- Security box needs to be checked
Likewise, if you would like to use your Gmail account, ensure you have got the subsequent SMTP configuration:
- Host: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 587
- The security box needs to be checked
If “The SMTP server needs a secure association, or the client wasn’t authenticated” message is displayed, meaning your Gmail account is obstructing the access. Check your inbox for an email from Gmail Security Center and follow the directions to achieve access.
On the “Service” tab
You can choose from employing a inherent native System user or a selected user. For the latter, ensure that the required user has read and write permissions to the installation folder (by default, C:ProgramFiles/DevScope/PBIRobots).
Save all changes and shut Power BI Robots Config.
And voila, your Power BI Robots agent’s configuration is complete! Your playlists can currently be sent.
Take a look at the playlist
If you would like to, you’ll be able to additionally take a look at your playlists here. Click the “Test PBI Robots playlist Execution” button, and also the following window can pop up:
Select the playlist you wish to check and its rendering defaults. Your pictures or PDFs are hold on at the placement of your selection if “Override Target Delivery of Playlist” is checked.
After executing the playlist, the mail received will look like: