Features of Node.js
Now as we know, what is node.js we will now discuss some basic features of node.js given below:
- Cross Platform: Move aside java, Node.js is not only Cross Platform but when developed with the correct structure can be packaged into an executable containing all its own dependencies.
- Asynchronous and Event Driven: All the APIs in node is Asynchronous, means they are non blocking, which also introduce a fact that Node.js server never waits for an API to return data.
- No Buffering: A very important feature that Node.js application never buffer any data. Application simply returns the data in chunks.
- Over 600,000 free open source Packages on NPM: Node.js has a vast community with enormous and huge number of permissive and open source projects that are available to help you save time is mind boggling.
- Sockets and two way Data Biding: As we know most of the web is based on the system of request and response that means if we ask for a page than the server sends us a page, Sockets allows a server to broadcast messages to all clients connected a specific group, If one of the user changes some data, all the other users can also be updated in few milliseconds. While other languages have socket libraries, Node.js has a advantage because of its event driven non blocking architecture, which also make it ideally suited to handle sockets. Node.js was the first to do it well and still does it better than any other framework
Below is an image which tells Node.js uses that is when and how Node.js Should be used.
As shown in figure Node.js is used widely in almost every vertical, or we can say Node.js is the future from Data Streaming to Rest API it is used widely.
Node.js Installation on Windows
Here we will follow the step by step process to install Node.js in local windows System.
Step 1: Go to the Link https://nodejs.org/en/download/ and download necessary file as per your system requirement & download Windows Installer setup file.
See figure below for reference.
Step 2: Find the Downloaded .msi file and double click on it to start installation, when pop up appears, click on Run button to start process.
See figure for your reference.
Step 3: In the next screen, click the next button to continue with the installation process, see figure below for your reference.
Step 4: In the next screen and step agree to the license agreement and click next button.
Step 5: In next screen choose the location where you want to save your Node.js and click the next button, you can save the path as
C:\Program Files (x86)\node.js\
Step 6: In this step accept all the default components and click on the next button.
See the figure below for your reference.
Step 7: In the next opened screen click on install button and the installation process will start.
Step 8: This is the last step of installation process just click on finish button to complete the installation process
After all the installation process is complete to check weather the Node.js installation in success full open terminal i.e. cmd and type the command: